Friday, March 16, 2012

Still waiting


It is most troublesome, not to mention tiresome which is not to forget irksome, when the thing that you want out of life always seems just out of reach. You can taste it, smell it, even feel it, its shape is recognizable in the mist of the horizon. You want it so bad your spit becomes sour with the bile of anger and depression at not being able to take hold and make that thing yours! It seems an affront to your very being knowing that which you long for remains in the distant future. It is why the lottery does so well and why Vegas reared it’s ugly head up out of a parched and desperate land, to feed off of the dreams and hard earned cash of desperate people. It is why the blues exist and why I enjoy playing them so much! It is the sorrow in the wind and the tears with the rain, it is the essence of striving, the urge to gain that promised land! It is that hour after eating Chinese food when you cry out for more!
I of course am referring to our return to Italy and how I would like to make it permanent this time but of course will not be able to due to the damned Euro and it’s refusal to crash! I think sometimes when you start to lose sight of your goals other things take on importance in the immediate and the original idea starts to move toward the back of the bus as it were. We started off this house project all gung ho with swords drawn and steeds mounted, armor all shiny and ready for battle, but the fight wasn’t what we thought and time has caught us up. So much red tape has been unraveled and many mountains moved in order to get us where we are that the horses have done died, the armor is rusty and I wouldn’t trust this sword to open a letter let alone take on the fierce battle of renovating a farmhouse in Tuscany.
I know I am starting to sound petulant and whiney but I can’t help it. I remember when I first went to Florence Italy, the exchange got to almost one dollar for 2 thousand lira. Now that was an exchange rate! Even an equal exchange would be ok, I just don’t understand how it is that this great nation is trailing behind a group of nations who are struggling to keep their heads above water! What the hell are they going to do when it comes time for these countries to pay back the debt and they can’t? They’ll drag all of us down with them!
Here I go, singing the blues again ‘though it’s less black and blue and more blue chip!
Ahhhhh it comes with age I guess.

1 comment: