Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The early days


I landed in Italy in 1992 at the young age of 27. I had no idea what to expect nor what I would find. I tried speaking French my first go round, when I was lost in the Milano train station, the only foreign language I knew at the time, other than a little bit of pig latin. Needless to say I managed to get to my final destination of Firenze with only major confusion, a pissed off cabby, I couldn't pay in Lira only dollars, and a surprised friends mother. It would seem that she wasn't told I would be entertaining them with my presence! My friend/guitarist wasn't there when I arrived. He neglected to inform me that he would be out playing with his other band! Oh, well.
Once settling my stuff, two steamer trunks, two bass guitars, 5 foot stack amplifier in 3 componants, duffle bag and two suitcases (I packed light), I fell down in the indicated bed, for it had been a 24 hour journey which included planes,trains and automobiles.
I was rudely awakened at the crack of 11 am by my friend who dragged me down town, introduced me to Jamie Lazarra, and convinced me it was time to start consuming aperitivi, well beer any way. Thus I was shown Firenze for the first time, we went from bar to bar to bar in the old city, my friend yelling about and pointing at all the monuments and old stuff!It was rather entertaining.
We returned to via dei Leoni to a small wine shop that was really just a counter top in a wall with a guy named Nico on the otherside. He was a Greek and fairly nuts, but what the hell we all were.
I met my future wife there that day at the wine shop. She showed up on her motorino in a yellow raincoat, her long black hair flowing out behind her. I knew I had to get to know her.
Leave it to say that it was a full and crazy first day which has led to a very full and interesting life. I will surf and recollect as we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment